Many families have multiple activities for each family member. This can lead to some very busy nights and no time to eat dinner at home. Unfortunately many families opt for the Drive-Thru window on these nights to feed their family. Not only are they eating unhealthy foods, they are also wasting a lot of money on their food budget.
So here are just five options you can make to bring along on those busy nights.
1. Salad - You can make a salad for each family member and place it in a plastic container. Top the salad with plenty of veggies, some chicken or tuna, and maybe even a sliced hardboiled egg. Sunflower seeds are also a nice, healthy salad topper. Bring along some forks, napkins, and some rolls and you have a great on-the-go meal.
2. Hamburgers - Yes, hamburgers! But ones you make yourself from lean hamburger you bought on sale from the store. You can top the burgers with cheese, sautéed onions and mushrooms, and ranch dressing. Put on toasted French bread and wrap in tin foil to keep warm.
3. Soup or Chili - On a cool night you can bring along a homemade soup or chili in some thermoses. Remember to bring spoons, napkins, and maybe bread or rolls to complete this meal.
4. Wraps - Use tortillas to make a wrap instead of the traditional sandwich. You can add chicken, tuna, or leftover steak, grated carrots and cheese, sunflower seeds, fresh spinach, and ranch dressing.
5. Homemade Subs - Make your own sub sandwich just the way you like it instead of going to the sub shop. Just buy sub rolls at the grocery store and add all your favorite fillings. Remember you can add grated carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, and spinach to get some great healthy nutrients in your sub. Bring along some cut up veggies and ranch dressing to complete this on-the-go meal.
So, as you can see, if you plan ahead you can save a lot of money on your food budget and also feed your family a much healthier dinner. Let's face it even a plain tuna sandwich would be healthier than the heart -attack in a box from the drive-thru and cost a lot less money.
And if you would like more money saving tips and healthy living tips please visit http://www.healthymomsforahealthyfamily.blogspot.com
By: Rhonda Percell - Wife, Mother of 3, Healthy Mom and Owner of Healthy Moms for A Healthy Family
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Rhonda_J._Percell